My husband has often asked me to make paella, which I have never made, often because I thought that I needed a proper paella pan and also because I thought it would be a lot of work. I decided to take on the recipe this weekend and learned that neither of my presumptions were true. First, I searched Google to see if a proper paella pan was necessary and I found the most people used a cast iron skillet as an ample alternative. Being that I already have a 12″ skillet, I was set. Next, came the ingredients, so off I went to the store.
Before getting into the details, I must note that I was inspired by the following recipe. Besides the skillet, I needed the following:
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 3-4 saffron threads (I purchased the actual saffron threads from my local spice shop)
- 2 c. short-grain white rice (I used Aborio)
- 4 c. chicken broth (which is a 32 oz. container…there are low sodium varieties as well)
- 1 lb. chorizo, cooked and diced
- 1 lb. chicken, cooked and diced (I shredded a store bought rotisserie chicken which saved time and steps)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced (I used a pint of grape tomatoes)
- 1 c. thawed peas
- 4 tsp. smoked pimentón (Spanish paprika)
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. oregano
- salt + freshly ground black pepper (season to taste)
- Over medium heat, add 2 tbsp. of olive oil into the pan and sprinkle in saffron threads. Heat until fragrant
- Add garlic, onion, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Cook until soft.
- Add remaining olive oil and pour in rice. Stir well making sure all rice is coated in oil.
- Add chicken broth.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat.
- While the mixture was simmering, you can cook your chorizo in another pan. It finishes up in perfect time.
- After about 15 minutes add chicken, chorizo, and peas.
- Cook about another 30 minutes and stir often to make sure all rice is getting cooked and nothing is sticking.
- Season with smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt, and black pepper and serve.
Serves 4-6. Enjoy!